Barry Conrad has had more than a decade of success across the Tasman with musicals, featuring in the movie Sapphires, making the final 12 on X Factor Australia in 2013, and has released numerous singles.
According to Nzherald, Conrad also had a brush with death in 2017. He almost lost his life when he suffered a pulmonary embolism and lost half a lung, and now looks at life through a very different lens. “The doctor told me that if I wasn’t in such good shape, I wouldn’t have survived,” he said.
We had the chance to interview with Aussie singer/songwriter and actor, Barry Conrad, about his background and career. If you aren’t familiar with Barry Conrad.
- Can you tell us what brought you to this specific career path?
As a kid, I was always singing, writing, and doing school plays. It just felt right. Deciding to really go for it as a career came later though. It took a second for my self-belief to catch up to my love of it.
- Can you share something fun or memorable that happened to you since you started this career?
I almost got taken out by a helicopter Dwayne Johnson was flying in the film, San Andreas. That’s pretty fun and memorable!
- Can you share an experience when you were first starting that you learned a lesson from?
When I was still living in New Zealand, my friend Elly and I started a production company to put a live music event together. We basically didn’t have any work, so thought we’d create some.
We were total rookies, didn’t have much money, and were winging it every step of the way: meeting with sponsors, trying to get artists on board, the whole situation. We’d pack in sandwiches for lunch and drive around Auckland to meetings in Elly’s car, fondly named ‘The Chicken’, which would break down (haha).
We did it though and the event went great. The experience taught me the value of hard work and really backing yourself, even when it looks like nothing’s happening. That you don’t need to have everything laid out to achieve something, you just need to start.
- What are some of the most interesting or exciting projects you’ve been working on?
Most recently a TV show out here in Australia called Neighbours, where I play the character, Kane Jones. And writing and recording new music. You can find my single, Ocean Road, on any of your favorite music streaming platforms.
- What tips would you recommend to your industry colleagues to help them to thrive and not “burn out”?
I think it can be tricky because a lot of times with opportunities in showbiz, when it rains it pours and you’ve got to take the work. But it’s important to intentionally make time for breaks and for the things that leave you feeling refreshed. For me, that’s working out, the ocean, going on road trips, and spending time with the people I love. Life can’t just be about work, it’s not healthy. I think you’ve got to fill it with other things that make you happy too.
- You have been blessed with success in a career path that can be challenging. Do you have any words of advice for others who may want to embark on this career path, but seem daunted by the prospect of failure?
I’m constantly reminded that success and life, in general, isn’t linear. It’s not just a straight, steady lineup. It’s up, down, all around, and unpredictable. You’re right, it’s extremely challenging, filled with rejection, and isn’t for everyone. But if you know it’s what you’re meant to do, you have to go all-in, invest in yourself and just keep going. Don’t give up.
- Can you share with our readers any self-care routines, practices, or treatments that you do to help your body, mind, or heart to thrive?
I love to exercise and practice intermittent fasting. Listening to music, podcasts, and audiobooks by the ocean. Taking on new recipes in the kitchen. Turning off my phone and getting lost in a great book or film. These are just some of the things I do for self-care that I find really helpful.
- What are your “5 things I wish someone told me when I first started”?
You don’t need all the answers.
Invest in people who add to your life and want what’s best for you.
Done is better than perfect.
Just relax and have more fun.
- Can you please give us your favorite “Life Lesson Quote”? Can you share how that has been relevant in your life?
Be the best version of yourself, for you. That’s not necessarily some pioneering new thought, but it’s something I started saying, especially after almost losing my life a few years back. You owe it to yourself to be the best version of yourself. We only get one shot at life, so why settle for anything less?
- None of us are able to achieve success without some help along the way. Is there a particular person who you are grateful towards who helped get you to where you are?
There are a lot of people I could list, but I’d have to say my beautiful mother and my high school music teacher, Miss Rabin.
- You are a person of enormous influence. If you could start a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger. 🙂
I think just bring positive change, wherever you are and whatever that looks like for you. It really costs nothing to be kind and helping someone is the best way to get your mind off yourself while making a positive impact.
- We are very blessed that some of the biggest names in Business, VC funding, Sports, and Entertainment read this column. Is there a person in the world, or in the US whom you would love to have a private breakfast or lunch, and why? He or she might see this. 🙂
Ah, that question’s not fair! We’d be here all day if I listed everyone I’d love to eat with. But one person would be Sir Richard Branson. Have always admired him and what he’s been able to build over the years. A big lunch with him would be pretty awesome!
13 How can our readers follow you online?
You can find me on Instagram and Twitter at @barry_conrad, on Facebook at facebook.com/
Follow on Facebook
Video Of The Week
Chart-Topping “Music Boss” Offers Free Course On “Exploding Your Fan Base”
Stefano Releases Thought Provoking New Single “We Are The Power”
Nordbo – Noire
Exclusive Interview With Maxx, A multi-talented Pop Artist Who Is Making A Name For HerSelf In The Music Industry
An Exclusive Interview With Maddie Moon, A Fast Rising Singer And Songwriter
Search For Naya Rivera Continues At Lake Piru With “Sophisticated Sonar Equipment”
FTF Double A: Popular Rapper On The Rise
December Sexy Time: Chey Anderson Featured On HONK
Download Mp3: G-Eazy Ft. Tory Lanez & Tyga – Still Be Friends
Dora Rodriguez Miss Universe Finalist
Dope Truth Drops New Music Video “Hunnid Ways”
Mr Maph Drops a New Song Called “Take It easy”
Better Be – Seat Back
Stefano Manotti – Cercarmi
Mighty Koba – Whine Poko
Entertainment3 months ago
Interview With Emerging Urban Artist Nasser
Featured2 months ago
Everything You Need To Know About Instagram Verification as a Musician and Business Owner
Music2 months ago
Top 7 Unique Christmas Songs For 2021
Artist Spotlight1 month ago
Meet Johnny Vice, The Rising American Rapper and Producer Everyone is Talking About
Entertainment3 months ago
Sub Lights Shine With Their indie- Electronic, Social Commentary Album Medicine
Artist Spotlight3 months ago
Cat Calabrese is a Pop Vocalist Artist to Lookout For In The Music Industry
Celebrity2 months ago
International Nova attends Atlanta screening, True to the Game 3
Music3 months ago
Newcomer Jake Banfield Defines His Path with Viral Favorite “If I Were You”